Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm Going Raw!

A bad case of flu, headaches and a new puppy all led me to the raw decision.  A few friends back in San Diego had been posting about their raw and living diets and yesterday a light bulb went off above my head!

I was a vegetarian for 9 years however I began to eat meat again in 2001.  I am very excited about going back veggie, in fact I'm gonna all in and go vegan this time! My Angel (10 month old pit bull) will of course eat meat however she too is going raw.

Research, research and research!  I began scoping the web for information and advice.  I joined the Vita-Village community and signed up for many newsletters. A piece of advice I  was given was to set a 'begin' date.  My begin date is March 3rd. A month to prepare should be plenty, right?

I did find a lot of places to get free ebooks, recipes etc.  You do have to sign up with your email address in order to get these "freebies". Suggestion: set up an email account that is solely for your raw diet journey!  Check out the Freebies and Links pages for more info!

I have my list of gadgets ready to purchase (please feel free to gift me:).  The gadgets I believe I need to begin this journey are:

  • Blender 
    • everyone seems to agree the Vitamix is the best blender for a raw diet however I do not have the money to get one at this time and will be using the one I have.
  • Food processor 
    • brand is not important here as long as it does what you need to too.  The only thing I found that should be considered is the cup size.  I am getting an 8 cup food processor.
  • Juicer 
    • do a lot of research when deciding on you juicer. I had a Jack Lalanne before and I loved it so I decided to get another.
  • Dehydrator 
    • this is not an essential kitchen gadget however I am an "on the go" type of person and would like to prepare foods to take with me.  The thing to watch out for is the temperature the dehydrator uses.  To be truly raw is has to be under 118 degrees.  I cannot afford a fancy one so I am going for a cheap one. Remember this is a transition!
  • Good knives
  • Mixing bowls
  • Storage jars 
    • for sprouting and storing.
  • Chopping boards
  • Difference slicing utensils (julienne, mandoline, spiral)
  • Nut milk bag
  • Coffee grinder 
    • this is for grinding nuts, seeds and whatever else takes your fancy!

Amazon has been a great place for me to get low prices on not only kitchen gadgets but food as well.  Their organic dried beans are very well priced! REMEMBER to check the shipping prices when looking on amazon.  I use Amazon Prime.  I got a free trial which means I don't pay for shipping on good with the Prime logo and they are shipped next day!  BONUS: you get unlimited steaming of videos and tv shows at no additional cost.  Amazon Prime is $79 a year after the free trial.

I've also started researching foods.  During this research I decided to incorporate the Eat Right for Your Type diet.  Why? Well I used it before and found it to be VERY effective.  I'm Blood Type O and I put together my food list with meat and dairy omitted.  I really want to use only organic food however I don't have a j.o.b. right now so that may not be realistic.

The aim of this blog is to motivate, share, educate and get the conversation going about raw :)  So join in and  comment, let me know when I'm not doing so great and PLEASE let me know when I am :)

Love, light and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment